Many students struggle and try hard when it comes to writing a literature review for an academic thesis. A literature review is a detailed overview of the information available for the selected topic of the dissertation. When you select a specific topic the first thing that you do is to research the knowledge about the selected topics. It can be done through various sources of information. The sources can be research articles, research journals, books, and many other sources. This detailed research helps you to translate into a literature review throughout writing a dissertation. A literature review is the heart of the thesis. It provides complete information about the relevant information and background history of the selected topic specifically for the problem that you are trying to explore.
There is one misconception among the students about the literature review. They think that the accumulation of the collected relevant information is the result of the literature review. However, collecting the relevant information is only a basic step to write a literature review. Your have to critically analyse the literature review. Provide a summary of the selected literature in order to navigate the readers towards the central theme of the dissertation.
However, dissertation writing services UK can give you the right idea of how to write a winning literature review as per the standards.
What Are The Types Of Literature Review?
A literature review can be classified into two main divisions that are experimental and theoretical. An experimental literature review is all about knowing the available information for the selected topic while finding out the gaps in the writing. These gaps are the areas where a researcher has to work upon. when researchers work on the founded gap, it is considered as the first experiment of any dissertation writing. The most substantial review will give the result of more systematic and precise thesis writing. That is why it is considered one of the most critical parts of the dissertation.
While on the other hand theoretical literature review involves two basic steps. The first step is actively reading the existing and irrelevant literature for the selected topic as it is done in the experimental literature review. The second step is organising the collected information and knowledge in the most systematic manner.
How To Write A Literature Review For Dissertation Writing?
Every dissertation writing and research articles start with the introduction of the selected topic. This is where the literature review forms throughout the dissertation. The prime objective of the literature review is to give an introduction to the readers about the objectives and purpose of the research. Literature review always begins with knowledge and information that students should gather through variously reliable and authentic sources of information.
Collecting the information about the selected topic is not the only important thing the students have to do in dissertation writing. The main part is to organise the information in the right manner. It really matters that how you organised information throughout the literature review. Let’s see some of the basic considerations that can help you to organise the information throughout the literature review significantly;
- First of all, with the background history of the literature about the selected topic of the dissertation. This helps the readers to understand the field of study that you are pursuing throughout the research process.
- The sequence of providing the information is what matters in the literature review. You have to provide the information in a sequential manner that separates the information chronologically. This helps to describe the progress of the research in a specific field of study that how it has evolved over time.
- The literature review should also include the contrast and comparison of various studies. Providing the controversial factors in the research helps to identify the key gaps throughout the research so that you can significantly work on them. It is important for explaining the problem statement of the research while highlighting the importance of the research at the same time.
- Once you have to find the problem statement, you should also discuss the strengths and weaknesses of other studies that you have used to tackle the problem statement.
Autonomous Literature Reviews
Students can also write a literature review as a standalone article. However, these types of literature leave you are not different from the one we have discussed above. The only difference is that it stands alone literature reviews does not include the experimental data throughout the writing. There are two categories that are the narrative reviews and systematic reviews.
What Are Narrative Reviews?
Narrative reviews are the theoretical discussion for the selected topic of the research where the author has to critically analyse the entire scenario. Narrative reviews are normally qualitative in nature where you have to provide logical evidence through relevant theories. However, you should organise the information throughout narrative reviews in the following manner;
- The first part is the introduction which works to set a foundation for the selected topic in the relevant field of research.
- The second part is the body which is used to define various factors for the selected topic. It is divided into many sub-components and subheadings. This particular section helps to contrast and compare the previously published studies in order to find out the gaps in the study that have or have not been discussed.
- The third and the last part is the conclusion which is a bit different. The conclusion of the narrative reviews describes all the analysis of current and future aspects of research.
What Are Systematic Reviews?
Systematic reviews go along with the significantly planned research methodology. Systematic reviews specifically focus on a single question and have the clear purpose that they are working on in a sequential way. These types of studies are typically based on well define strategies opposite to the narrative reviews. However, the systematic reviews should organise in a different way.
- The first part is the introduction. Systematic reviews always start with a well-defined research question that can be defined in the form of samples and the results of the research.
- The second part is the research methods. These types of studies have specific methods that help to narrow down the entire information throughout the literature to review effectively. The research questions and the database should be searched on the criteria of inclusion or exclusion of the research questions. The sample studies are shortlisted to analyse them in detail.
- The third part is the result section. This involves analysis of the complete data in order to find out the importance of the results and findings of the study. The best part of the systematic reviews that it uses various effective statistical analysis to strengthen the result of the research. This makes the entire research more authentic.
- The fourth and the last part is the discussion with usually interpret the findings of the entire results along with the significance of the results.
Why Dissertation Writing Is Mandatory For Students?
Dissertation is the most important writing activity that students have to contribute in the field of education. It is an opportunity for the students to show their capabilities as a researcher. A dissertation describes that student is capable of identifying the areas of research in which they have an interest. However, you have to conduct research based on a specific specialisation. This helps the students to develop a good understanding of the subject of specialisation.
A dissertation is one of the best sources for the students to develop a certain set of skills necessary for academic and professional life at the same time. Without completing an academic and dissertation student cannot complete their graduate or undergraduate program. The only way to get a degree is to complete and submit the dissertation. Students also have to defend the same in front of dissertation committee members.
What Are The Objectives Of Dissertation Writing In The Life Of The Students?
There is no doubt that students can avail many benefits with the dissertation process. It helps the students in the following ways
- It assists the students to develop many skills that are essential to meet the requirements of the academic assignments. These skills are critical thinking skills, brainstorming, decision-making skills, research skills, writing skills, reading skills, and many more. These skills are not only for educational purpose but are highly in demand in the professional market as well.
- It is one of the opportunities for the students to showcase their abilities and skills in the best possible way.
- It is an opportunity for the students to show their contribution in the specific field of study. Furthermore, students can also show their contribution on their resume. It can be the best professional job opportunities in the specific field of specialisation.