WHAT IS VAPT AND WHY WOULD YOUR ORGANIZATION NEED VAPT AUDITS?
This document aims to provide basic concepts for vulnerability assessment. The reader should have basic knowledge of information technology to understand the contents of the article. However, it does not cover deep technical knowledge. best cybersecurity service provider.
What is VAPT?
Vulnerability Assessment (VAPT), and Penetration Test (VAPT), are two types of vulnerability testing. Each test has its strengths, and they are often combined to provide a more comprehensive vulnerability analysis.
Computer cybersecurity uses the term “vulnerability” to describe a system flaw that allows an attacker to disrupt the integrity of the system. Vulnerabilities could be caused by weak passwords, software mistakes, incorrect software settings, a virus, malicious script injection, SQL injection, or any other type of script script.
If cybersecurity risk is identified as a vulnerability, it can be considered as such. An exploit is a combination of security risk and well-known examples that have been successfully completed. Programming languages with complex syntaxes can lead to major vulnerabilities.
While vulnerabilities existed at all times, the Internet was still in its early stages of development. Hackers who stole valuable information and hacked servers were not reported by the media. All nodes of the network were trusted at that time. Secure protocols (SSH/SCP, SSL, SSL) were not yet available. However, important data could be transferred using telnet and plain text HTTP. No one thought of sniffing (passive listening to the network) or ARP spoofing, an attack technique that intercepts traffic between hosts.
Penetration Testing vs. Vulnerability Assessment
There is some confusion in the cybersecurity industry about the differences between vulnerability assessment and penetration testing. They are often mistakenly referred to as the same thing. Although penetration testing sounds exciting, most people need a vulnerability assessment. Many projects are labelled as penetration tests when in reality they are 100% vulnerability assessments. Although penetration testing includes the assessment of vulnerability as a standard part of the process, this is just one of many additional steps. Penetration testing simulates an attacker’s attack to assess the cybersecurity of a computer network or system.
This includes an active assessment of the system to identify any technical flaws, vulnerabilities, or deficiencies. This analysis will be done from the perspective of an intruder and will also include actively exploiting security vulnerabilities. The system owner will receive any security issues discovered along with an assessment of the severity and often a plan or technical solution. Most companies conduct vulnerability assessments because the systems they test are still in production and cannot be interrupted by active exploits that could disable them. Vulnerability assessment refers to the identification and qualification of system vulnerabilities. A system under examination could be physical equipment such as a nuclear power station or computer system, or even a larger system such as communication system infrastructure or water infrastructure. In addition to risk assessment, vulnerability assessment includes many other things. These are the steps of a typical assessment:
- System performance and cataloging capabilities (resources).
- Quantification of the importance and value of resources
- Identification of potential vulnerabilities and threats to each resource
- Reduce or eliminate the most severe vulnerabilities that threaten most valuable resources
Who is responsible for VAPT?
One person may claim that the best candidate is a security officer who understands the system inside and out, as well as its strengths and limitations. But, not everything is easy. A penetration test that is performed by a specialist who has a minimal knowledge of the system will be more successful in identifying “blind spots” that were missed by developers while building and organizing protection levels. This is why VAPT is often performed by third-party contractors who are experts in the field.
This role is also suitable to hackers, or “ethical” hackers, also known as white hat. This group has a lot to offer, and they have good intentions. The goal is to improve security.
There is no better candidate than you can find. Since everything is done individually it all depends on how the strategy is implemented and what type of pentest the representatives wish to complete.
What is VAPT?
- Network penetration
- Detection of system and network-level vulnerabilities
- Identification of wrong configurations and settings
- Identify the vulnerability of the wireless network
- fraudulent services;
- Lack of strong passwords, and weak protocols.
- Application penetration test :
- Identification of application-level deficiencies
- Fake requests
- The use of malicious scripts
- Infraction of session management
- Physical penetration
- Breaking down physical barriers
- Checking and breaking locks
- Sensor bypass and malfunctions
- disabling CCTV cameras;
- Device Penetration Testing (IoT):
- Devices that detect hardware and software problems;
- brute force weak passwords;
- Identifying insecure protocols, APIs, or communication channels
- Configuration violation and many more
What types of pentests (penetration tests)are there?
- Pentest “white Box” – This penetration test will provide information to the pentester about the security architecture of the organization. This method can also be used in conjunction with the IT team of the organization and the penetration testing team.
- Pentest “blackbox” (or “blind testing”) simulates real attackers. The specialist or team doesn’t provide any information other than the name and basic data to give a general understanding about the company.
- Hidden pentest, also known as “double blind”, is a situation in which only 1-2 of the employees (including IT specialists and security experts) have access to the verification. This type of test requires that the pentester/team have the correct document to avoid any problems with the law enforcement agencies in the case of a response from the security services.
- An “ethical hacker” can carry out an external pentest against the company’s website or network servers. It is used to find out if the attacker can hack into the system remotely, and if so, how far.
- Internal Pentest – An imitation of an attack is performed by an authorized user with standard rights. This allows you to assess the damage that an employee with personal accounts can cause to the management.
What are the stages in VAPT?
- Information gathering – Searching for information about an organization and its employees in open source, social networks, forums, and blogs.
- Search technical base – identification of resources, applications, and hardware that are available for the enterprise
- Analyse of vulnerabilities and threats – detection of security system and application vulnerabilities using a range of tools and utilities that were both commercially available and developed by pentesters.
- Data processing and operation – imitating a cyber attack to get information about vulnerabilities for further analysis.
- Forming the report – Design and presentation of the findings made pentest, with suggestions for improving cybersecurity systems.
What is the purpose of a pentest?
Penetration testing provides a clear picture of security threats and exposes weaknesses to manual attacks. Regular pentesting will help identify weak points in the organization’s infrastructure, technical resources, and personnel arsenal.
Just as you would visit your doctor to get an annual check-up, it is sensible to call highly qualified security experts to perform safety testing. Although you can say you are perfectly healthy, specialists can still conduct testing to identify hazards that you might not be aware of.
Penetration testing is an essential element to protect your company’s security. best cyber security service provider.