Are you annoyed because QuickBooks Desktop won’t open? This article provides you with all the information you need to troubleshoot this issue.
QuickBooks won’t open Error usually appears while accessing your company file. This Error is witnessed when some damage is caused to the program files. Make sure that you go through this article until the very end to get all your queries pertaining to the Error addressed.
Causes behind ‘QuickBooks Desktop Doesn’t Start’ Error?
You may face this Error as a result of one or more causes. These causes are mentioned as follows:
- Long company name
- Damaged hard drive
- Incorrect QuickBooks Desktop installation
- The QBWUSER.INI file is missing or damaged.
- QuickBooks Desktop being Incompatible with your operating system
- Important QuickBooks files were deleted accidentally.
Solutions for QuickBooks Desktop Doesn’t start or Won’t Open Error
There are various avenues to fix QuickBooks Won’t Open or Doesn’t Start Error. Implement each of the below-mentioned steps carefully to get this technical snag resolved.
Method 1: Restart the Desktop
Restart your PC and check open QuickBooks. Check if the Error got resolved. Otherwise, follow the guidelines laid down by the following method.
Method 2: End the ‘QBW32.exe’ process
- First, right-click on the Windows taskbar and choose ‘Start Task Manager.’
- Head to the ‘Processes’
- Select the ‘Image Name’ This will sort the processes alphabetically.
- Search for ‘EXE.’
- Click on ‘QBW32.exe’ and select ‘End Process.’
Method 3: Rename ‘QBWUSER.ini’
Renaming ‘QBWUSER.ini’ prevents QuickBooks software to access this file and rather compels it to create a new file on its own. This new file would be free of any issues present in the existing file. To rename the file, follow the steps provided below:
- Rename ‘QBWUSER.ini.’ file
- You need to access the folder where the ‘.ini’ file is located. If you cannot trace it, then enable hidden folders and files.
- After locating ‘QBWUSER.ini.’ select the ‘Rename’
- Type ‘.old’ towards the end of the file name.
- Hit the ‘Enter’ key to reflect the changed filename.
- Check if the issue got resolved. If the problem continues to exist, navigate to the following method.
- Close all QuickBooks Processes
- Simultaneously hold on to the ‘Ctrl +Alt + Del’
- Choose Open Task Manager.
- Head to ‘Processes.’
- Right-Click on processes related to QuickBooks.
- Select the option ‘End Process.’
- Once the process is ended, restart the system.
- Open QuickBooks Desktop again and check if the issue got rooted out.
Method 5: Suppress QuickBooks Desktop Installation
- While holding down the ‘CTRL’ key, right-click on the QuickBooks Desktop icon and select ‘Open.’
- Hold down the “Ctrl” key until the ‘No Company Open’ window pops up.
- Now open QuickBooks Desktop and verify if the issue got uprooted.
Method 6: Create a new Windows Admin User
- To begin, open the ‘Control Panel’ and browse through it.
- Select ‘Manage User’ after double-clicking the ‘User Account’ Now select ‘Add.’
- After that, enter the administrator’s name and domain name. Press the ‘Ok’ key.
- Click on ‘Administrator.’
- Finally, click on ‘Finish.’ You’ll be taken to the ‘User Accounts’ dialogue box. Click ‘OK’
Method 7: Re-register QuickBooks Related Components
Inspect if all your QB-related components have been registered. To register the components, follow the directions given below:
- Launch the QuickBooks Desktop program.
- Then press the ‘F2’ key to open the ‘Product Information’
- After that, look into the registration status.
- If QuickBooks is listed as ‘registered,’ you don’t need to do anything else. If this is not the case, follow these steps to register for QuickBooks.
- Close the Product Information window by pressing OK.
- Go to the Help
- Select ‘QuickBooks Activation.’
- Check the information & activation process by carefully following the prompts.
- Run ‘reboot.bat’ to re-register ‘.OCX’ and ‘DLL.’ Files.
- Check if the issue related to QuickBooks Doesn’t start getting resolved.
Method 8: Use QuickBooks Tool Hub
QuickBooks tool hub carries numerous benefits. It caters to, and assists in annihilating technical snags and error codes encountered while operating with QuickBooks. Follow the steps below to make use of the software:
- Close the QuickBooks software.
- Download & Install QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Upon completing the installation process, launch the QuickBooks tool hub
- Select any of the issues tab to resolve QuickBooks won’t open by using different tools.
- Once the identification and fixing of errors (if any), you need to open QuickBooks Desktop again and check if the Error got resolved.
Solution 9: Rename ‘.ND’ & ‘.TLG’ Files
Renaming the ‘.ND’ and. ‘ TLG’ files may help resolve the Error related to QuickBooks is unable to open. You must add the suffix ‘.OLD’ at the end of the file name.
To rename the ‘.ND’ and. ‘ TLG’ files, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Open QuickBooks Desktop and press the ‘F2’
- In the ‘File Information section, check the location of the company file and access the folder containing your Company file.
- Now, you must locate the files with the same name as your company file but have the extensions ‘.ND’ ‘TLG.’
- Right-click on these files and click on ‘Rename.’
- Add suffix ‘.old’ with the name of the file.
- Open QuickBooks Desktop again and check whether the Error got resolved.
We hope that QuickBooks launched smoothly and you are not experiencing any errors. This article entailed the most easy-to-implement troubleshooting solutions to fix the QuickBooks Desktop Doesn’t Start or Won’t Open Error.
If you face any inconvenience while performing the methods mentioned above, don’t feel hesitant to reach out to our QuickBooks technical error support expert team by dialing helpline 1-800-761-1787.