Want to know which ways the winds of social media are blowing?
Experts recommend that you start by understanding the importance of social media demographics, and the role this information plays in the success of marketing strategies.
We have compelled different statistics that display the current state of social media. This data helps you uncover interesting insights to help you engage the targeted audience, reach out to the right people, and fine-tune your marketing strategies.
If you look at some of the best industry digital marketers, you have figured out that they always keep an eagle eye on the recent demographics and trends so that they have a solid foundation for their marketing strategies.
These marketers know where their audience is more likely to be active, as this helps them choose the right social media platform to promote their brand or business.
Choosing the right mix of social media platforms is a serious question that can make or break social media campaigns. This is a serious challenge for marketers who plan digital marketing automation campaigns frequently.
The answer is you need to dig deeper into the demographics and trends. Look at how women have pinned Pinterest boards as DIYs or others, how many people are demanding new bitmojis or more privacy options, and check out how many people are attracted or offended by the ads between the videos on Facebook.
Social media statistics can reveal a lot about the current happening around the social media world. Now close all your extra tabs and get your mug of coffee as we are rolling down the social media demographics that can help a marketers come up with social media marketing tactics that work in 2021.
Let’s take a closer look.
General Social Media Demographics
Social media popularity has been rising with time, and so has the number of platforms. Social media marketers are now more active than before on multiple social media platforms.
From the established platforms such as Facebook to platforms such as Instagram and TikTok that gained overnight success within a few years, a huge section of the world’s population is active on some platform or another.
Interested in digging more deeper? Let’s look at what these general social media statistics say.
- In general, over 3.78 billion users were active on social media by 2020. The graph is increasing gradually, and it is estimated to reach around 4.41 billion by the year 2025.
- An average user spends 2 hours on social media each day.
- Around 98.8% of people use social media on mobile devices, spending more than 4 hours on the devices.
- An average user has around 8.4 different social media accounts.
- Want to know which three platforms top the chart? These top most used platforms are Facebook, Instagram, and Whatsapp.
Social Media Marketing Demographics
Next, we have some essential social media marketing statistics that every marketer should keep an eye on. While looking at the demographics, try to find ways of getting the most out of these numbers.
Let’s start with the brands and business social media statistics.
- About 40.4% of users use social media for work purposes.
- Ads are great for promoting the brand, but unfortunately, around 42.7% of internet users prefer ad blockers. Approximately 22.3% of internet users say that too many ads are annoying, and they find them irrelevant. These two are the significant reasons for using ad blockers. (so if you are running multiple ads at once, make a note)
- About 54% of social media browsing sessions are used to research products or brands.
- Around 69% of marketers utilize social media to create brand awareness.
- 57% of customers or followers follow their favorite brands to get the latest updates, and on the other hand, 49% of customers unfollow their favorite product due to poor customer service.
- 71% of customers have a strong positive experience from a brand or product referred to family or friends.
- How can we forget the power of influencers? Statistics show that around 49%of consumers prefer the recommendation of their favorite influencers.
- 73% of marketers believe that social media marketing is very effective for their business.
Social Media Platform Demographics
Each social media platform offers its own set of benefits and challenges. As such, blogger or influencers have to come up with unique platform-specific strategies to increase followers, likes and engagement.
The most important thing you need to reach out to your targeted audience is to understand the dynamics of each platform and determine how you can leverage the audience of the platform to your benefit.
Once you have chosen the right platform for you, it is easy to take further steps, including interacting with the right audience. So, scroll down and check out the recent statistics about each platform and determine the right one for your campaigns.
Let’s start with the Facebook statistics.
- Guess how many active users does Facebook have? Facebook is the biggest social platform with roughly 2.85 billion active users.
- 85% of Facebook users watch Facebook videos on mute.
- Facebook is most common in Generation Z. Around 53% of Gen Z visits Facebook daily.
- Facebook is home to small businesses. Around 80 million people use Facebook for small businesses.
- If we talk about Facebook engagement rate, it is 0.09% across the industries.
- Around 80% of Facebook users use Facebook on mobile devices.
- An average user spends 58.5 minutes on Facebook.
- The best time to post on Facebook is on Wednesday at 11 am and onwards.
- Videos play a massive part in Facebook engagement, with videos getting at least 6.15% more engagement.
Next, we have Instagram, the hub of selfies and video content. Let’s take a look at some interesting Instagram statistics.
- Instagram has a total of 1.2 billion active users.
- The average time spent on Instagram is 53 minutes per day.
- If we talk about the hashtags, a single post on Instagram has an average of 10.7 hashtags.
- Want to buy something? Take help from Instagram as it helps 80% of users to buy a product.
- Around 500 million Instagram users share stories every day.
- Around 90% of Instagram users follow a business.
- The average Instagram rate for any business post is 0.96%.
- An average Instagram advertising potential reaches 1.16 billion users.
- Instagram stories are way popular, and Instagram stories with a proper call to action button perform 89% better.
- The auto caption for IGTV is available in 14 different languages.
- A single IGTV appears four times larger than a single photo or a video.
- Instagram is the 8th most visited website on the internet.
- One hundred thirty million people click on ‘shop’ each day.
Looking out to plan a Twitter strategy? If yes, here are some interesting statistics you should know before planning out any strategy.
- According to recent statistics, Twitter is home to 192 million active users.
- The average time spent on Twitter is around 3.39 minutes per session.
- If we talk about it from the marketing aspect, 67% of all B2B businesses use Twitter as a digital marketing tool.
- Around 500 million tweets are posted on Twitter each day.
- Guess which emoji is one of the most used emojis on Twitter? It’s the emoji ‘laughing with tears.’ It is used more than two billion times each day.
- An average Twitter ad engagement is around 27%.
- Twitter is the 11th most visited website by traffic.
- The most used hashtags on Twitter were ‘#Covid19’ and ‘#blacklivesmatter.’
- The advertising audience on Twitter is around 33 million.
- 40% of users purchase products after seeing them on Twitter.
Now we have Pinterest on our list. Even though Pinterest is not as popular as Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter, it has the strong potential to reach out to a new audience.
- The active users on Pinterest are 459 million, and undoubtedly Pinterest has more active users than Twitter and Snapchat.
- According to recent statistics, more women than men mainly use Pinterest, and 6 out of 10 women are active.
- 89% of the users use Pinterest mobile app. So if you are posting something on Pinterest, then make sure to use the proper format for the mobile app users.
- Pinterest is home to almost every mainstream brand.
- Presenting you the core reason why people use Pinterest the more? It is to get inspiration for home decors.
- Over 200 million pins are saved on Pinterest each day, and 99% of the pins consist of images, and the remaining 1% are video-type content.
- Pinterest is growing more in the younger generation.
- 89% of the pinners use Pinterest to get the purchase inspiration.
- Over 25% of the time of pinners is spent on shopping.
- Pinterest is the 14th most prominent social media platform in the world.
- Advertisers can reach more than 200 million people on Pinterest.
Knowing social media statistics is one of the core requirements for designing a high-ROI marketing strategy. We have compiled different statistics for each social media platform so that it is easier for you to decide which platform to go for.
Once you have decided on your platform, create an effective strategy, and social media demographic is one of the effective strategies. Consider investing in a tool that automates social media marketing tasks. A simple search for Sproutsocial Alternatives will give you a list of popular tools.
Dip your toes into the pool of social media statistics and start working on implementing an effective strategy that reaches out to the right audience on the right platform.