McAfee Vs Trend Micro: Cyber threats are increasing and the number of people becoming victims has reached the billions mark. Reasons may vary, sometimes it’s our mistake that leads to virus infiltration and the rest is out of our control.
Threats can be prevented by taking precautionary steps but there are malicious viruses that can slip through and are difficult to detect and remove. This is where antivirus’s need comes in.
Though free antiviruses offer basic protection it isn’t enough to protect against the complex threats. Our system needs advanced security and that you can get from premium antiviruses.
In the market, McAfee and Trend Micro are popular brands that use advanced technology to protect a system against know and unknown threats. You even get additional security features that can prevent a wide range of threats.
In this article, you will go through an in-depth comparison of McAfee and Trend Micro. And in case you’re having trouble deciding which one will be right for you, read on.
Read: Cancel Automatic Renewal
Let’s Describe McAfee Vs Trend Micro
Comparing McAfee vs Trend Micro’s Pros & Cons
- Every McAfee product supports Windows, Mac, Android and iOS devices.
- You get a VPN in every subscription plan.
- Shredder can securely delete sensitive data.
- 30-day money-back guarantee is offered.
- You get Identity-theft protection and VPN only in auto-renewal.
Features & Pricing
When it comes to features, McAfee offers you additional features like VPN, Password Manager, 256-bit AES encryption, safe web-browsing and a shredder that can permanently delete sensitive files.
There is a total of three packages offered by McAfee for the consumer- McAfee Total Protection for Individuals, Family and McAfee LiveSafe. These products come with features like an alert for identity fraud, dark web monitoring (USA) and a 24×7 customer support service.
Below you can check out the pricing of each McAfee antivirus package.
- McAfee Total Protection (Individual). For this plan, you need to pay $34.99 for the first year and $99.99 on renewal that will cover up to five devices.
- McAfee Total Protection (Family). For this plan, you need to pay $39.99 for the first year and $119.99 on renewal that will cover up to ten devices.
- McAfee LiveSafe. For this plan, you need to pay $39.99 for the first year and $119.99 that will cover an unlimited number of devices.
The Pros & Cons
- It uses AI technology to prevent threats.
- You get discounts for multi-year subscriptions.
- The pricing and features are easy to understand.
- There are quite a few application or function-related features.
- You don’t get an integrated VPN.
- The identity or privacy theft protection is not that good.
Features & Pricing
Trend Micro’s products offer you Pay Guard feature that ensures that while you’re doing financial transactions online, it is secured and safe. Trend Micro also utilises AI Technology that is designed to prevent ransomware and future threats.
Except for the effective protection Trend Micro offers, the downside is in its additional features, you don’t feature offered by McAfee like webcam protection, VPN, dark web monitoring, file encryption and cloud storage.
In case you want a VPN, you need to purchase it separately.
Below you can check out the pricing of packages offered by Trend Micro.
- Trend Micro Antivirus + Security. This plan is available for Windows only and comes with advanced AI technology protection. It can easily prevent ransomware, phishing attempts and even comes with the Pay Guard feature.
If you want to purchase this plan for a year for one device it will cost you $29.95 and $39.95 on renewal. For a two-year plan protecting one device will cost you $59.90 and $64.95 on renewal.
- Trend Micro Antivirus for Mac. You will get the same protection offered to Windows (except Pay Guard) but is available for Mac only.
If you want to purchase this plan, it will cost you $29.95 for the first year for one device and $39.95 on renewal.
- Trend Micro Internet Security. This product is available for only Windows OS. You get features like Parental Control, PC Optimizer, Social Media privacy protection and can protect up to three devices.
If you want to purchase this plan for a year it will cost you $39.95 for the first year and $79.95 on renewal. For a two-year plan, it will cost $59.90 and $124.95. In both the plans you can protect up to three devices.
- Trend Micro Maximum Security. For providing complete protection to all your devices (Windows, Mac, Android & iOS) this plan is the best option. You can cover up to ten devices.
For the period of one year, if you want to cover five devices it will cost around $39.95 and $89.95 on renewal and for ten devices it will cost around $39.95 and $99.95 on renewal.
For the period of two years, if you want to cover five devices it will cost around $59.90 and $139.95 on renewal and for ten devices it will cost around $79.90 and $154.95 on renewal.
The Comparison: McAfee vs Trend Micro
As you went through in brief about the two antiviruses, it can be seen that McAfee offers you with more additional security features. McAfee also offers effective scanning features for emails and downloads which is better than Trend Micro.
If an antivirus doesn’t provide the required protection then it’s not worth money you paid. The security suite should be able to defend your computer against malware, ransomware, spyware and other viruses.
When it comes to protection, not every antivirus is perfect, but as far security is concerned McAfee with decades of experience is better than Trend Micro. But Trend Micro is also effective at providing protection.
- Impact on system’s performance.
A good antivirus should be able to provide protection along with less impact on the system’s performance. When it comes to less impact between the two antiviruses, McAfee provides better performance.
McAfee requires fewer resources while it’s working on protecting your system from antiviruses.
- User Friendliness.
An antivirus should be easy to set up and use which doesn’t require any technical know-how. In the area of user-friendliness, both McAfee and Trend Micro are winners.
Users should not waste money on antiviruses that offer few features and is costly. Sometimes, when an antivirus offers tons of essential features it’s worth the extra money you pay.
But if we compare McAfee and Trend Micro in terms of cost then McAfee is affordable and has a reasonable price tag.
Our Final Verdict
Both Trend Micro and McAfee offers good protection against threats but the only difference lies in the protection of the number of devices in a subscription. When it comes to protection for more devices, McAfee is the best but if you want protection for fewer devices, Trend Micro is the better choice.