India is great for the spices in the world. However, you have to follow some steps to start as an Indian spices exporter. This item route, which originated in India past years ago, proves that spices were our earliest exports.
Nowadays, also India is a major exporter of spices, and its business thrives within the country. However, similar to any other company, it requires detailed planning and the development of a condiment export business plan.
Here, we look at various ways to start a spices exporter business in India. Also, we note down points to consider about its export business. This point helps a lot in start spice exporter business.
Scope Of Spice Export Business In India
Indian condiments are required worldwide for their superior quality and flavour. Also, we are one of the largest consumers of condiments. In addition, Indian households need many flavours and herbs to sustain themselves.
Several small landowners have switched to cultivating these shrubs, taking up less space and providing better returns. As a result, India is the world’s largest producer and exporter of condiments, delivering different varieties to multiple countries.
The climate conditions of India features both tropical and subtropical weather patterns, making it perfect for all its varieties. Hence, it is clear that its export business has a lot of scope in India.
Stepwise Process To Initiate Spice Export Venture In India
First and foremost, entrepreneurs will need to determine the type of business they want to start. Also, in which shrubs they want to specialise. For example, you can become a wholesaler, producer, supplier, retailer, or exporter, according to your interest and capital in hand. And you must give your 100% efforts on it.
In the next step, you will have to conduct market research to understand more about the spice market. Also, to educate about the pattern of herbs you are focusing on. Moreover, it will help build a sustainable supply chain for the condiments.
Then, you would have to meet with suppliers and vendors to buy their condiments in bulk. You will require an appropriate storage location on rent or buy it to accommodate this. If you wish to start a wholesale spice suppliers business, you need to install the proper machinery. Also, you require the equipment to get the production facility running. Following are the list of machinery necessary for starting a condiments export business in India as below,
- Packaging machine
- Spice grinders and sieves
- Heat sealing machine
- Weighing scale
Afterwards, entrepreneurs have to meet with a legal expert to understand the legal compliances required to start such a business. The lawyer will provide further details on the necessary certificates and licenses you will need to begin operating in India. You can also start your venture as an Indian spices exporter.
You will start the documentation process to obtain the required licenses on time. In addition, you will have to register your business as a viable business structure at this stage.
Next, you will have to find suppliers in different countries to export condiments. First, however, you can establish a good working relationship with them. Afterwards, you have the buyers in place; you can start the paperwork necessary to begin exporting the condiments.
Along the way, you will find suitable creditors and investors to help finance your operations. You want your export business plan ready before approaching investors to make sure you are well prepared.
Multiple Types Of Spice Export Ventures In India
The most primary ways you can start your export business of condiments are as follows:
- Spices Manufacturer
- Spices Wholesale Trader
- Spices Merchant
- Spices Supplier Exporter
- Wholesale Spice Suppliers
- Spices Third-Party Manufacturer
The manufacturers deal with the production of spices on a large scale. In contrast, merchants and traders act as middlemen completing the logistics chain.
Therefore, spice manufacturers serve as the primary producers, and merchants help in ensuring their product reaches the right markets.
Wholesale traders ensure that retailers package, distribute, and sell condiments to all people who receive the product.
Third-party manufacturers contribute to the production of condiments in the country, and suppliers help export them abroad.
Documents Required To Start A Spice Exporter Business In India
- Incorporation Certificate for the business from the Registrar of Companies
- Registration and Membership Certificate from the Spice Board
- Code of Import Export from the Director-General of Overseas Trade
- MSME registration
- Trademark registration for the protection of your brand in abroad markets
- For tax purposes, registration of Goods and Service Tax required
- Phytosanitary Certificate
- License or registration of Food Safety and Standard Authority of India
- Passport size photo
- Authorised Dealer Code from a recognised bank
- Bank certificate and statement
- Company PAN card
You require additional documents to obtain a registration certificate as an exporter of spices.
- IEC certificate
- Confidential Bank Certificate.
- DD worth INR five thousand in favour of the Spices Board
- GST tax registration certification
- PAN card
Pros Of A Spice Business Startup In India
- India is the land of spices and has high credibility within the international market, leading to better opportunities.
- The spice industry has proven to be a sustainable and economically viable option bringing in billions every year.
- Exporters receive various subsidies that help them send their items abroad as samples at lower costs.
- Business owners receive subsidies for creating brochures, promotional videos, and other marketing campaigns.
Biggest Challenges Faced By The Spices Export Business in India
- Labour issues are related to the health problems that arise due to prolonged exposure to the pungent odours of condiments.
- Lack of access to high-tech machines makes expansion difficult for small-scale businesses.
- Difficulty in attracting overseas buyers by obtaining access to high-quality packers and labellers.
Which things are essential to consider to start an Indian spices exporter business?
Various things are of utmost importance to consider while starting an export business of condiments. Some of them are the document list like trademark certificate, food safety assurance, import-export code, company PAN card, and many more. Also, you require the latest and innovative machinery to start the condiments export business in India.
Read Also : Small Business Ideas To Start In 2022