Laptops are portable devices and are used in multiple scenarios. Many people often eat and drink while using them. Sometimes, they accidentally spill liquid such as tea, coffee, or water on the device. Most people panic during those situations because the liquid can damage the notebook PC.
Hence, it may boot, become unresponsive, display nothing, or make different noises depending on where the leak went. The liquid spills on your laptop it may damage the device entirely. Therefore, it’s necessary to turn off the device immediately.
However, one can save the device from liquid damage even without taking it to a computer repair service center, by following the correct steps. That’s why we have created a step-by-step guide to save the notebook PC from any kind of problems, due to liquid spillage.
Table of Contents
Steps To Save Your Laptop From Liquid Damage
- Switch Off The Laptop And Disconnect The Power Source
- Remove The Battery If Possible
- Place The Laptop On A Cloth
- Ground Yourself Before Touching Internal Components
- Remove Internal Hardware Components If Possible
- Gently Wipe Wet Internal Components
- Clean Dry Residue
- Let The Laptop Dry
- Put The Components Together And Turn On The Laptop
- Prefer Going To An Official Repair Center
- Remove Any Residue If Present
Steps To Save Your Laptop From Liquid Damage
Switch Off The Laptop And Disconnect The Power Source
First of all, quickly turn off the laptop. You can do so by holding its power button for a few seconds. The reason behind that is if the liquid reaches the inner portion of the portable computer while it is powered on, its circuit will most likely short out.
After that, remove the charger from the device. Generally, the charging port is present on the side of the portable computer. In addition, unplug all the connected devices from the laptop such as a mouse, pen drive, USB cable, etc.
Remove The Battery If Possible
To remove the battery, turn the device upside-down and slide the panel present at the bottom. However, the battery can’t be removed this way from all the devices. The reason behind that is, we have to open the screws to remove the battery in some devices.
Place The Laptop On A Cloth
Preferably, place a towel on a flat surface. After that, open the laptop up to its maximum limit and place it on the towel while keeping its face downwards. In addition, make sure that the material of the towel or cloth is moisture-absorbing. You can also place a fan directed to the notebook PC for fast evaporation of the liquid.
Ground Yourself Before Touching Internal Components
Make sure your feet touch the ground, before touching the internal components of the notebook PC. The reason behind that is the body may possess static electricity that can damage the components like ram, processor, etc. Therefore, by touching the ground, static electricity is eliminated if present.
Remove Internal Hardware Components If Possible
If you are comfortable dealing with the internal components of the laptop; open its bottom panel and remove the internal components. On the contrary, if you are not confident doing so, do not risk opening the laptop on your own.
Gently Wipe Wet Internal Components
Preferably use a micro-fiber cloth for gently wiping the liquid from the internal components of the portable computer. Be extra careful and wipe delicately because applying more force can break the micro-circuits present on the components.
Clean Dry Residue
After all the moisture is removed, there is a possibility that some dry residue is left on the components. Wipe the residue with a lint-free cloth. Additionally, we can use compressed air to clean the components. However, make sure that the air pressure is not extremely high as it can wear the circuitry.
Let The Laptop Dry
Keep your laptop in a warm and dry place for at least 24 hours so that it can dry up completely. Additionally, don’t use a hairdryer to speed up the drying process because it throws out the air at an unregulated high temperature.
The reason behind that is, the extremely high temperature of the air can melt the circuits, leaving the component dead!
Using a hairdryer for draining the water can cause moisture to enter it and cause static damage. After 8-12 hours, take a soft paper towel or cloth to dry all visible liquid.
Put The Components Together And Turn On The Laptop
After the portable computer has finally dried up, reassemble the components and try turning it on. If it turns on successfully and does not show any fault signs, it means the device has survived the liquid damage. On the other hand, if you notice weird sounds or distorted displays, you need to get the device repaired by a professional repair center.
Prefer Going To An Official Repair Center
If the device doesn’t turn on, you must visit a good laptop repair center. Preferably, take it to the official repair center. Avoid getting it repaired from the local market because they compromise on quality by using cheap components. Although the brand’s official care centers are comparatively expensive, they provide quality components that are good for the laptop’s durability.
Remove Any Residue If Present
After the portable computer boots up and runs successfully, you may spot a greasy leftover material majorly around the ports. Use a damp, lint-free cloth and gently wipe the residue from the affected area.
If one keeps a drink next to the portable PC, there is a risk of the device getting damaged through liquid spillage. However, one can easily save the portable computer from damage if correct measures are performed quickly. Therefore, by following the above guide, one can make sure that the notebook PC survives the liquid damage.
Although, if the device doesn’t work properly after performing the above steps, consider taking it to a professional. You can find a good laptop service center near your location. For that, you can search like laptop repair Singapore, and find a reputable brand repair center.