The appearance of this issue might be caused by a number of factors, one of which is the size of the PST file. This issue does not prevent you from using the Microsoft Outlook data file not opening, but it does lengthen the time it takes to do so.
So, with the aid of this post, we’ll go through the best ways to fix Outlook PST that was not properly closed by the last application that utilized it. But, before you go any further, read through the user’s case given below to learn more about the MS Outlook PST file issue.
“I’ve been using Outlook for email, and I recently upgraded my PC to Windows 10 and Office 2013 to 2016.” However, when I try to open Outlook 2016, I get an error notice that says “Cannot start Microsoft Outlook.” After a while, I noticed that the problem was that the previous software that utilized my Outlook.pst did not properly close it.
Can somebody assist me in resolving the problem with my personal folder file (.pst)? I’ve stored some of my most important information in Microsoft Outlook. Please provide a suitable strategy for efficiently resolving this problem. Thank you for your assistance.”
Starting Outlook data file not Opening solving
- Begin by opening the Microsoft Outlook application.
- Then an error warning shows on your screen, stating that the previous software did not properly close the Outlook PST. The file is being verified to see if there are any issues.
- A warning message now appears, stating that performance may be impacted while checking in the progress. After a few minutes, another notification appears, stating, “Data file check complete.”
- Finally, the email, as well as Outlook-related features, may be accessed.
Causes – Close the Outlook PST file
The majority of Microsoft Outlook users are waiting to see what is causing the PST file problem. There are several reasons why Outlook.pst was not properly terminated by the previous application that utilized it. The following are the items stated. Let’s have a look at what we’ve got.
- The Outlook application was closed before Windows was shut down, which might result in a PST was not properly closed problem.
- If your MS Outlook application is heavily contaminated with viruses, this error message may appear.
- When a user tries to access Outlook data or add-ins using third-party software, the data may be improperly closed, resulting in this problem.
- If Outlook is badly contaminated, it will not be able to be opened properly. It does, however, provide problem warnings like Outlook PST was not properly closed by the last software that utilized it.
Workaround 1: In Outlook data file not Opening
Outlook.pst was not correctly terminated by the previous application that was utilized, which might possibly be the cause of this Microsoft Outlook error message. In this case, the PST file’s size must be lowered as quickly as possible in order to remedy the problem. As a result, the compacting and archiving procedures can be used. To do so, go through the steps given below in order:
- To begin, open Outlook and go to the File tab, then to the Info tab.
- Select the Clean-up tools now. Then choose Archive from the drop-down menu.
- You must do the following procedures in the archive dialogue box:
- To begin, select the option to “Archive this folder and its subfolders.”
- Then, from the folders list, choose the PST data file to be archived.
- Select ‘Archive things older than’ from the drop-down menu, and you’ll need to choose a date for the components (items) to be archived.
- As the user may be archiving a significant number of email messages, specify the ‘destination path’ and ‘archive into new PST file’ options.
- Finally, save the Outlook PST file to whatever location you like.
Note: If you are still unable to resolve this Outlook PST that was not properly closed by the final application problem after attempting the above-described manual solution, please contact us. Then you must immediately switch to another technique.
Workaround 2: Use the ScanPST.exe tool to repair the PST file.
Using the ScanPST.exe software, this procedure can fix an inaccessible Outlook PST file. To fix the Outlook.pst was not properly ended by the final program issue, just follow the instructions given below:
- First and foremost, close Outlook and manually launch Scanpst.exe. Keep in mind that the location of the Outlook repair tool varies depending on the Windows OS version.
- Then, navigate to the PST data file that needs to be updated; it should have an extension.pst.
- Now go to Options and select the Scan Log Option.
- Following that, press the Start button. If any defects or problems are found, the file encourages you to start the repair process automatically.
- Following that, a backup file is created in order to prevent data loss. The user can save the file anywhere he or she wants.
- Finally, click the Repair option and open Outlook with the PST file as the account.
Without Data Loss, Repair Outlook PST File
The above-mentioned manual method for resolving errors such as Outlook.pst was not properly closed by the last software that utilized it is recommended. This, in turn, has certain drawbacks, since it may result in data loss. As a result, SysTools Outlook Repair is the superior option. This data recovery software can fix MS Outlook PST files without causing any data loss. This tool comes with a number of useful and efficient features that ensure a safe and secure recovery procedure. You can also use our excellent PST File Repair tool by going to our official page.
The Final Words
With the aid of this article, you should be able to fix the Outlook data file not opening. The previous software that utilized it did not correctly shut the pst file. Errors and problems with Microsoft Outlook accounts are very prevalent. The hardest aspect is determining the exact answer. Even if you locate a solution to the MS Outlook error, there is no assurance that it will cure your issue.
It depends on the version of Outlook, the size of the PST file, and, most significantly, all other internal factors that contributed to the problem in your system. The most important factor to consider when repairing an Outlook problem is to repair and restore Outlook PST file data items without losing any data.