This blog aims to address the question asked by many readers. PST users looking for solutions on how to import PST to Office 365? In today’s time, there are many options available to migrate PST files to Office 365. Users can also do this with the help of third-party tools.
Microsoft Outlook is a well-known email client with a variety of built-in features. Many people use the Outlook desktop application. Office 365 is also very popular. There is currently no way to open PST files in Office 365. Therefore, here we will discuss how to convert PST files in Microsoft 365 using some of the most effective methods.
PST file:- A PST file extension is associated with a Microsoft Outlook email client. With it, users can manage multiple accounts using a single personal data file for Outlook. It always saves new data in .pst format
Office 365:- Office 365 is a web-based version of the desktop Office suite. Microsoft 365 saves any items added to a database that can only be accessed over the internet via a browser.
Before converting any file, we should know about the need of converting it. Here we discuss why PST files should be converted into Office 365.
Need to Convert PST file to Office 365
- You can easily upload and export email from a company’s email server to the Microsoft cloud.
- On-premises PST migration to Office 365 reduces infrastructure and maintenance costs.
- It provides greater mailbox storage capacity by allowing mailbox archiving.
- Users can import a PST file into Office 365 to maintain an organization’s whole email mailbox data in one place.
- When migrating PST files to O365, users can put their mailboxes on hold to protect content.
How to Import PST to Office 365 – Manually
There are several processes to convert PST to Office 365 manually. You can opt for any of them. Follow the instructions that are listed below.
#1. Using MS Outlook to Export PST files
- In the MS Outlook application, click the File button.
- Select the Open & Export tab.
- Go to the Import/Export option.
- Select Import from another program or file and then press the Next button.
- After selecting an Outlook data file(.pst), click Next (.pst).
- In your system Choose desired PST file and press Open.
- After that, choose the destination mailbox folder and press Finish.
#2. Using Azure AzCopy Utility
Using the Azure AzCopy program to import a PST file into an Office 365 account is a multi-step process. To successfully import PST to Office 365, you must follow them in the exact order. Follow the instructions outlined below.
Step 1: Add Import / Export Role in the MS Exchange Admin Center
- To get started, log in to your Office 365 account.
- Here, in the App Launcher, click on the Admin option.
- After that, go to the Show All tab.
- Next, press the Exchange option. It will open the Exchange management center.
- Select Administrator Roles from the drop-down menu on the Roles tab.
- Click on the Add Group Roles button.
- Now, enter suitable details to create Import/Export roles.
- At last, click the Add Role Group button to complete the process.
Step 2: Create a new Entry Center for Compliance Center
- In the Microsoft 365 admin center, select Compliance.
- In the Compliance Center, choose the Information Governance option.
- Select the Import tab in the right-hand corner, then New Import Job.
- After that, give an appropriate Job Name and click Next.
- Press Upload Your Data and click on the Next button.
- Click Show Network to Upload SAS URL option.
- Next, Copy to the clipboard and press Download Azure AzCopy.
Step 3: Upload data to Azure Blob Storage using AzCopy
You can upload a PST file to Azure Blob Storage using Azure AzCopy, a command-line application. Blob storage data can also be sent to Office 365 as well. Follow the steps below to add a PST file to Office 365.
- Write the following command in a text file.
azcopy.exe copy “<PST file source>” “<SAS URL>”
- Replace the above text with the following details.
- <PST file source> The PST file location you want in your system.
- <SAS URL> – The SAS URL you copied while creating the import function.
- After that, paste the updated text into Azure AzCopy Tool. Hit the Enter button.
Step 4: Create a Map Making File
You must first create a map file before importing your PST data into Office 365. A map file is a CSV file containing migration information. Microsoft Documentation has a CSV file available for download. Fill in the relevant details in the sample map file.
Step 5: Import PST into Office 365
After you have completed all the previous steps, it is time to end the process. Follow the steps below to complete the PST transfer to Office 365.
- On the Import Job creation page, tick both the boxes: I’m done uploading my files and I have access to the mapping file.
- After that, press Next to continue.
- Select the Mapping File option and choose the updated Map file. Validate the file and click Save.
- Next, check the progress of the Import job. Select the “Ready to Import Office 365” option.
- Select the Import to Office 365 option.
- Finally, click Next and press the Import data button.
It is described here how to import PST files into Outlook online using Azure AzCopy software. If you follow all the instructions carefully, you should be able to convert your PST files to Office 365. However, as you can see, the method is difficult for a non-technical user. It is also a time-consuming method as it involves many steps.
How to Upload PST to Office 365 – Professionally
PST File Converter Tool is an application that helps you in importing Outlook PST files to Office 365 accounts such as emails, contacts, and calendars. You would waste a lot of time and effort using the manual method which includes Azure Azcopy or drives shipping or network upload. In this case, we suggest making use of an automated tool that can help you easily import PST files into Office 365.
Also Read:- How to Import PST to Gmail Without Outlook?
Here we described all the processes to import PST to office 365 as well as the need for conversion. So you can choose any method which is suitable for you. After reading this blog you will be able to convert PST to Office 365.