Canon printers are loved by people due to their high-performing nature. But when you operate it over a period, you can experience technical troubles. One of the common problems that various printer users desire a solution to is the Canon printer offline problem. When the printing device goes offline, it can be difficult to carry out all your printing tasks. Fortunately, there are various ways you can get rid of this problem. To troubleshoot this issue from the root, you must also know the various reasons that cause it. In this article, you’ll find the different factors that make your printer go offline and how you can fix it.
Why You Face Canon Printer Offline Problem?
To troubleshoot this problem, you must first know why it happens. Canon printer says offline due to the following reasons.
- Your printer is not turned on.
- The communication status of your PC and printer is poor.
- There is a problem with your printer settings.
- You have not updated your Canon printer driver.
- Paper jam
- Virus attack
- The printer is in sleep mode.
Different Ways to Resolve the Canon Printer Offline Problem
You can implement several troubleshooting techniques when the offline problem occurs. Follow every method one by one and see if your issue resolves.
Inspect the status of wireless LAN
If your printer isn’t connected to Wi-Fi, you will obviously face offline printer problems in Windows 10. So first, inspect the Wi-Fi LAN of the printer. It should be lit. You should also examine the status of the radio wave condition. If the printer isn’t linked to Wi-Fi, modify the Wi-Fi connection. Go through the manufacturer’s manual for the Wi-Fi connection process as it varies according to the model. If the radio wave condition is poor, the error happens because the radio wave strength needed by the Canon printer isn’t reached. So keep the printer and wireless router close.
Modify the printer port configuration settings
Often Canon printer goes offline when the SNNP status is enabled. When you disable this function, you can resolve the problem.
- Go to ‘Start’ followed by ‘Windows System Tools’ and then ‘Control Panel.’
- Tap ‘View Devices and Printers.’
- Tap ‘Devices and Printers.’
- Right-tap ‘Offline Printers’ and choose ‘Printer Properties.’
- Click ‘Change Property’ on the ‘General’ tab.
- Launch the ‘Ports’ tab and tap ‘Configure Ports.’
- When you see the ‘Port Configuration’ dialog, un-tick ‘Enable SNNP status.’
- Click ‘OK.’
- Tap ‘Apply’ and see if the printer is online.
Disable the Use Printer Offline option
If the ‘Use Printer Offline’ option isn’t disabled, you’ll naturally find your Canon printer offline. To disable it, go to ‘Control Panel’ and follow these points.
- Select ‘Hardware and Sound’ from the different subcategories that appear on your screen.
- After that, click ‘Devices and Printers’ on the window that comes on the screen.
- Right-click your printer and then click ‘See what’s printing.’
- Now hit ‘Printer’ present at the top-left part of the screen.
- After that, check that you have un-ticked the ‘Use Printer Offline’ option.
- On finding this option checked, remove the checkmark. Follow it by saving your changes.
- Next, click ‘Cancel all documents.’
- Connect your printer again.
Start the printer spooler service.
You must set the startup type of print spooler service to automatic. Otherwise, you will find your printer offline. Follow these steps.
- Type ‘service’ in the search box and click on its result.
- Now right-click ‘Print Spooler’ and then click ‘Restart.’
- Right-click on ‘Print Spooler’ another time. Follow it by selecting ‘Properties.’
- Now configure the Startup Type as ‘Automatic.’
- Click ‘OK’ to save these changes.
- Start your computer and print a document.
Reset your offline Canon printer
Whenever you find that your Canon printer says offline, it means that your printer is connected to the system. By resetting it, you can get rid of this error. Follow this process for it.
- Hit the Power button of the printer for a while. It will shut down. Instead of it, you can also try to detach the power cable from the device.
- After some time, turn the Canon printer on. Do it either by holding the Power button or plugging in the power cable.
- Let the device reboot.
- Give a print command. Check if the offline problem is fixed.
Update the driver
If there’s a corrupt driver, you can face this problem. To resolve it, uninstall it and download the driver from the website of Canon setup. To reinstall it, follow these points.
- Open ‘Device Manager and select ‘Print Queues.’
- Right-click ‘Printer Hardware’ and select ‘Update Driver.’
- You’ll see a question ‘How do you want to search for the driver?’
- You must opt for ‘Browse my computer for driver software.’
- Choose the option to install drivers and update them.
- Reboot your system.
Set your printer as the default
Sometimes, your Canon printing device might be linked to your system but may not be set as default. It is the cause behind your printer appearing offline. To resolve it, you can set it as default.
- On your system’s keyboard, hit the ‘Start‘ button.
- Navigate to ‘Devices and Printers.’
- Right-tap on the Canon printer and choose the ‘Set as Default’
Fix the printer offline problem in Mac
You can resolve the printer offline problem in Mac by resetting your printing system. Follow these steps below.
- Hit the Apple menu and choose ‘System Preferences.’
- Below the Hardware section, tap ‘Scan & Printing.’
- tap on the printer list to see it. You will see a menu popping up.
- Here, click ‘Reset Printing System.’
- Now, you’ll be prompted to confirm that your Mac device is linked to the Canon printer.
- Navigate to the ‘Apple’ menu and tap ‘System Preferences.’
- Now, click ‘Scan & Print.’
- To add your printing device to Mac, tap the + symbol.
- choose the device from the list and hit ‘Add.’
- the software will get downloaded and installed by your Mac device. Your printer will now come online.
Now you can confidently fix the issue of the Canon printer says offline. But if you cannot carry out these measures or have any queries about them, connect with Canon printer customer support service. The technical support professionals will resolve any kind of printer-related issues whenever you encounter them.